How to look after your Scalp Micropigmentation
The procedural result from each treatment session will settle over a 7 – 10 day healing period.
After this time you will generally be ready for the next session.
Things to do before Scalp Micropigmentation treatment
Please make sure that you stay out of the sun or keep your head covered before your treatments.
We cannot go ahead if you burn your head, this may cause sensitivity and pain during the procedure.
Skin that is sunburned, dry or flaking may not heal or accept pigment properly.
Please shave your head to zero using clippers the day before your procedure.
Do not wet shave your head as we need to see the follicle to be able to match your hair colour.
Dry scalp and skin conditions such as dandruff, eczema or psoriasis MUST cleared up before treatment commences.
If you wear a wig you would need to leave it off for up to 12 weeks and moisturize your head daily.
Even get some sun on your head to help the skin get back to normal.
If you are prone to keloid scarring or have any active and changing forms of Alopecia unfortunately Scalp Micropigmentation is not suitable for you.
Clients who have type 2 diabetes or have undergone chemotherapy within the last 12 months will need a doctor’s clearance to proceed.
Any use of blood thinning medication must be complete for 30 days before treatment commences.
If you are unsure about your general health or are experiencing abnormal scalp conditions, it is recommended to get a doctor’s clearance before treatment commences.
After scalp Micropigmentation Treatment
Looking after your SMP after every treatment is important.
We give you a balm after every session to help with the healing process over a 5 day period.
It would help if after the 5 days you use a good moisturizer every night to help keep the skin in good condition.
Follow these steps and your SMP will look great.
Because SMP pigment is only deposited into the Papillary layer of skin, failing to follow through with aftercare may cause uneven healing, affect the overall appearance of your treatment and result in needing additional sessions.
Your skin will heal over 3-5 days but the ink itself may take 7-10 days to fully settle, so you must take care to follow these steps to ensure the best healed results and the longevity of your treatment.
After your each session you need to stick to these guide lines:
- Avoid excessive sweating for a minimum of 2-4 days after every treatment.
- Avoid strong sunlight on your scalp while healing.
- Do not wash or cut your hair for 5 days after each treatment.
- Do not use any shampoo, products or soap on your scalp while healing.
- Hats and hard hats can be worn after each treatment and during healing.
- Were possible keep the wearing of hats to a minimum to allow the head to breathe.
- Beanies or tight hats causing friction or sweating must not be worn for a minimum of 5 days after treatment.
- On day 5 after treatment you may gently wash your head as normal again, with WARM water, and no scrubbing.
- Do NOT apply chemical based colours, fibres, makeup, antibiotic creams, ointments, Monoxidil or RetinA to the treated area until it is fully healed.
- We recommend at least 10+ days after your final session as this may cause the pigment to discolour or fade.
- Do not expose your scalp to strong sunlight while healing. For shaved heads, always apply sunscreen.
- We recommend you stay out of strong sunlight during the initial 7-10 day settling period to avoid having to use sunscreen on your treatment area, and instead wear a hat.
- It is important that you do not sunburn your scalp to the point that would cause peeling, especially within the first 2 weeks following treatment.
- Any sun damage which causes peeling on the healing tattoo can lead to fading and uneven treatment results.
- This includes after treatment is fully healed.
- Wet shaving with a razor blade for 10 days after each session of the procedure.
- After the final session you can return to normal care after 15 days.
LONG-TERM Care Of Your Scalp Micropigmentation:
- Avoid chlorinated pools, saltwater, saunas, and steam rooms for 3 week after treatment
- Always wear SPF 50+ as UV rays can cause the pigment to fade.
- Avoid using products that use a high concentration of alcohol.
- To tell how much alcohol is in a product check the label.
- On the labels, ingredients are listed in descending order of concentration.
- If alcohol is one of the first ingredients it is best to avoid it.
- Avoid products with AHA as this will cause pigment to fade.
Tip: After i shave my scalp i use aloe vera, i apply this to my whole head and it dry’s matt ( not Shiny).
Here is a picture of the product and a link – https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/50656/plunkett-aloe-vera-99-pure-gel-240ml
I hope this answers any questions you may have if not contact us for more answers.